MEDIA RELEASE - ELRC CONTRIBUTION TO SOLIDARITY FUND
The Education Labour Relations Council (ELRC) has thrown its weight behind the Solidarity Fund with a donation of R1.5-million to help combat the impact of COVID-19.
The cash donation will also assist in the economic recovery, particularly for sectors that are in distress due to the Coronavirus.
The ELRC, representing the Department of Basic Education as the Employer; the South Africa Democratic Teachers Union and the combined teacher unions (CTU-ATU: the National Professional Teachers Organisation of South Africa; Suid-Afrikaanse Onderwysersunie; the National Teachers Union; the Professional Educators Union; the Public Servants Association and the Health and Other Service Personnel Trade Union of South Africa), is a bargaining Council that serves educators in the public education sector.
The mandate of the ELRC is to maintain labour peace in the public education sector and similarly, its aim with this contribution to the Solidarity Fund is to stand in unison with fellow South Africans to alleviate the plight of those affected by this global crisis.
The ELRC urges all South Africans to continue to help in the fight against the Coronavirus by observing the following measures:
• Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
• Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available
• Practise safe cough etiquette. Cough or sneeze into your flexed elbow or into a tissue and immediately dispose of the tissue in a safe place e.g. bin
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth as well as handshakes
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces
Stay home and stay safe! Help stop the spread of COVID-19.
Issued by: The Education Labour Relations Council
18 April 2020
For further enquires please contact the ELRC Media Research & Media Manager on 083 384 7747 or email: BerniceL@elrc.org.za